Pages: 1
Imago
Enthusiast

Reged: 01/12/02
Loc: Lone Star State
Unknown charge on my credit card
      #226764 - 02/20/05 02:02 AM

Has this ever happened to anyone...?

I was checking my account online and thought my balance didn't seem right. So I looked at recent activity and there was a rather large transaction posted to my account yesterday that I hadn't made.

The merchant (or whatever) was a website I didn't recognize. I went to that site and it was a place that handles payments for other places. I think it's French because some of the instructions were in French as well as English. And the English was very poorly written in some areas.

By providing certain information, I was able to get all the particulars of the transaction. I thought it was funny because it said "look at the merchant below to see if you were the one who made the transaction".

Anyway, I had never heard of the merchant. There was a "LTD" at the end of the name which leads me to believe they're British maybe? I supposedly made the transaction on 2/9 but it didn't post to my account until 2/18 (that's odd to me...9 days?)

Unless I'm having serious memory problems, I didn't make this charge. But I don't know how to handle it. Well, obviously, I'm going to call the credit card company but will they believe me? I don't have any experience with this kind of thing. How did it even happen?

I've used an NROP recently. I wonder if someone there took my info and charged something. Is that possible?

If anyone has had any experience with a situation like this or can offer me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA!

Imago

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ReOkie
Old Hand

Reged: 02/20/04
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Unknown charge on my credit card [Re: Imago]
      #226818 - 02/20/05 11:53 AM

Some of the overseas OP's that I have ordered Soma from use a credit card service that ends in LTD. The web site always is in rupees and then it shows up in US dollar amount on my statement but I never had a problem with a charge.

ReOkie

--------------------
Remember son, watch out for the big panties!-Al Bundy

jumble

Reged: 01/20/05
Loc: midwest
Re: Unknown charge on my credit card [Re: ReOkie]
      #226825 - 02/20/05 01:21 PM

This may have no bearing on your charge against your cc,But my father -in -law made some online buys for CD's and had a $400 charge that he did'nt make that originated in England.Call your cc company NOW and tell them you did not make that charge.My father-in-law was has reclaimed his cash.He was told there have been many illegal charges from the UK.

--------------------
Fear is the mind killer,it is the little death

Trey_McC
Old Hand

Reged: 12/07/04
Loc: Mars
      #226828 - 02/20/05 01:30 PM

Yes it is possible and you shouldn’t be here asking advice about credit card issues.

Just call the Credit Card Company Immediately!

Most nrops are COD. Did you use your credit card to make your purchase?

Ltd. Limited Company. A form of business comparable to incorporation. Common to Canada and Great Britain.

Have a great day,

Trey

Imago
Enthusiast

Re: Unknown charge on my credit card [Re: Trey_McC]
      #226936 - 02/20/05 10:14 PM

I called the credit card company. The rep didn't seem too bothered by the fact that there was an unauthorized charge on my account. I guess they hear it pretty often...

He said the merchant was some sort of travel booking company. He's going to mail me some forms to fill out and send back to them. It will take 30 to 60 days.

This really sucks because it was a substantial amount of money and it brought my available credit down to almost nothing.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Imago

ReOkie
Old Hand

Reged: 02/20/04
Loc: Oklahoma
      #227010 - 02/21/05 10:29 AM

Bottom line is that the merchant must prove that you made that charge and I doubt they can unless you made the charge and just forgot. I have had several charges I did not recognize and all were taken off after I initiated the dispute. In one case the charge was legit and I just did not recognize the name of the merchant and was able to allow the charge to go through. That was thru a credit card payment place rather than my credit card company.

Glad you were able to get some answers and assistance here. Regardless of what Trey said, it's great when members can come here and get help when they need it the most!

ReOkie

--------------------
Remember son, watch out for the big panties!-Al Bundy

Imago
Enthusiast

Re: Unknown charge on my credit card [Re: ReOkie]
      #227013 - 02/21/05 10:45 AM

I might forget about a legitimate charge but the CC rep said this merchant was a travel agency. There's no way I'd forget about making travel arrangements for a trip.

I downloaded the dispute forms from their website instead of having them mailed to me. Hopefully, this will cut back on the amount of time it will take for this to get settled.

Imago

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heidi, Melody 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 223

Rate this topic

Jump to

Help | Privacy statement | Rules Free Members Area