Pages: 1
MelodyAdministrator

Reged: 03/20/03
Loc: DrugBuyers.Com
Nexium - Esomeprazole
      #144271 - 03/04/04 08:21 AM

NEXIUM™ (esomeprazole magnesium)
DELAYED-RELEASE CAPSULES

The active ingredient in NEXIUM™ (esomeprazole magnesium) Delayed-Release Capsules is bis(5-methoxy-2-[(S)-[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benzimidazole-1-yl) magnesium trihydrate, a compound that inhibits gastric acid secretion. Esomeprazole is the S-isomer of omeprazole, which is a mixture of the S- and R- isomers.

Its empirical formula is (C17H18N3O3S)2Mg • 3H2O with molecular weight of 767.2 as a trihydrate and 713.1 on an anhydrous basis.

The magnesium salt is a white to slightly colored crystalline powder. It contains 3 moles of water of solvation and is slightly soluble in water.

The stability of esomeprazole magnesium is a function of pH; it rapidly degrades in acidic media, but it has acceptable stability under alkaline conditions. At pH 6.8 (buffer), the half-life of the magnesium salt is about 19 hours at 25°C and about 8 hours at 37°C.
NEXIUM is supplied as Delayed-Release Capsules for oral administration. Each delayed-release capsule contains 20 mg or 40 mg of esomeprazole (present as 22.3 mg or 44.5 mg esomeprazole magnesium trihydrate) in the form of enteric-coated pellets with the following inactive ingredients: glyceryl monostearate 40-50, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, methacrylic acid copolymer type C, polysorbate 80, sugar spheres, talc, and triethyl citrate. The capsule shells have the following inactive ingredients: gelatin, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, D&C Red #28, titanium dioxide, shellac, ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, n-butyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium hydroxide, polyvinyl pyrrolidone, and D&C Yellow #10.

INDICATIONS

Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

Healing of Erosive Esophagitis

NEXIUM is indicated for the short-term treatment (4 to 8 weeks) in the healing and symptomatic resolution of diagnostically confirmed erosive esophagitis. For those patients who have not healed after 4-8 weeks of treatment, an additional 4-8-week course of NEXIUM may be considered.

Maintenance of Healing of Erosive Esophagitis

NEXIUM is indicated to maintain symptom resolution and healing of erosive esophagitis. Controlled studies do not extend beyond 6 months.

Symptomatic Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

NEXIUM is indicated for treatment of heartburn and other symptoms associated with GERD.

H. pylori Eradication to Reduce the Risk of Duodenal Ulcer Recurrence

Triple Therapy (NEXIUM plus amoxicillin and clarithromycin): NEXIUM, in combination with amoxicillin and clarithromycin, is indicated for the treatment of patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease (active or history of within the past 5 years) to eradicate H. pylori. Eradication of H. pylori has been shown to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence. (See CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY: Clinical Studies and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION.)

In patients who fail therapy, susceptibility testing should be done. If resistance to clarithromycin is demonstrated or susceptibility testing is not possible, alternative antimicrobial therapy should be instituted. (See CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY: Microbiology and the clarithromycin package insert, CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY: Microbiology.)

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

The recommended adult dosages are outlined in the table below. NEXIUM Delayed-Release Capsules should be swallowed whole and taken at least one hour before eating.

For patients who have difficulty swallowing capsules, one tablespoon of applesauce can be added to an empty bowl and the NEXIUM Delayed-Release Capsule can be opened, and the pellets inside the capsule carefully emptied onto the applesauce. The pellets should be mixed with the applesauce and then swallowed immediately. The applesauce used should not be hot and should be soft enough to be swallowed without chewing. The pellets should not be chewed or crushed. The pellet/applesauce mixture should not be stored for future use.

The pellets have also been shown in vitro to remain intact when exposed to tap water, orange juice, apple juice and yogurt.

PATIENT INFORMATION

Patients should be informed of the following: NEXIUM Delayed-Release Capsules should be taken at least one hour before meals.

For patients who have difficulty swallowing capsules, one tablespoon of applesauce can be added to an empty bowl and the NEXIUM Delayed-Release Capsule can be opened, and the pellets inside the capsule carefully emptied onto the applesauce. The pellets should be mixed with the applesauce and then swallowed immediately. The applesauce used should not be hot and should be soft enough to be swallowed without chewing. The pellets should not be chewed or crushed. The pellet/applesauce mixture should not be stored for future use.

Antacids may be used while taking NEXIUM.

--------------------
Tip: Try our Database to find out who has the best deals...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bubbathegut
Journeyman

Reged: 03/27/04
Re: Nexium - Esomeprazole [Re: Melody]
      #168203 - 06/11/04 11:41 PM

does anyone know if prilosec or nexium is just as good as aciphex?

johng
Board Addict

Reged: 02/13/03
Loc: great lakes
Re: Nexium - Esomeprazole [Re: bubbathegut]
      #168310 - 06/12/04 05:21 PM

I have used all the different types. My ins. co changes the type I am allowed to take every few months i have not noticed any differance in them all all do what they are suppose to do for me.
pick which ever is cheaper IMO

johng

--------------------
Ask and it will be given to you Matthew 7:7

henry1
Board Addict

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: North Central USA
Re: Nexium - Esomeprazole [Re: johng]
      #168375 - 06/12/04 11:30 PM

I use Protonix, which has worked well for me.

--------------------
treading the backward path...

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Melody 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 857

Rate this topic

Jump to

Help | Privacy statement | Rules Free Members Area