Save more with each re-consultation.Freee overnight shipping.
ePainmedsglobal.com

Meds, Medical Conditions, and Treatment >> Prescription drug discussion

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
lemongrass
Board Addict

Reged: 09/24/03
Loc: IL
Tramadol - Ultram
      #137472 - 02/15/04 01:24 AM

Does this stuff really work for people? I find it completely ineffective for my pain, which can be moderate to severe. To me, it's nothing more than Ibuprofen. Does seem to give me a bit of a headache though, which I don't understand. Thanks for any of your replies out there.

lemongrass

Edited by Melody (03/04/04 08:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tone
Veteran

Reged: 06/29/03
Loc: Chicago
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: lemongrass]
      #137476 - 02/15/04 01:51 AM

Yes. If someone offered me 20 Hydrocodone or 20 Tramadol but told me i cannot have both, i would choose the tramadol because it works better

NJ_Hoss
Enthusiast

Reged: 10/30/03
Loc: USA
      #137487 - 02/15/04 03:14 AM

It really depends. Given the type of pain and other individually mitigating factors such as physiology, tolerance, other medications being taken, etc. either has the potential to provide greater pain relief than the other in a given circumstance.

Despite its relatively new existence in the U.S. market (10 years or so), it has been widely available in Europe as one of the preferred analgesics, even among the available opiates at the time. I certainly wouldn't discount its potential out of hand.

MrOrange
Enthusiast

Reged: 12/18/01
Loc: West
      #137567 - 02/15/04 12:56 PM

Quote:

Does this stuff really work for people? I find it completely ineffective for my pain, which can be moderate to severe. To me, it's nothing more than Ibuprofen. Does seem to give me a bit of a headache though, which I don't understand. Thanks for any of your replies out there.

lemongrass

My doctor gave a presription for Tramadol HCL to me and the dose was 1 to 8 (50mg) tablets per day as needed for pain.

Well, I took one about an hour before bed and noticed a mild headache that would not go away. It zonked me out.

The next morning, I wake up and I am feeling disoriented, confused and I could not concentrate for 30 seconds. I was also having mild hallucinations. This lasted for about 4 hours. I called my doctor and told him I would never take that junk again.

It seems some people do have bad reactions to this med. You won't know till you take it, so take the minimum dosage at first. If I had taken 2 tablets, I might have gone on a trip I was not expecting.

By the way, it didn't do anything for my back pain.

oreo
Journeyman

Reged: 05/17/03
Loc: North-lived South but prefer t...
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: MrOrange]
      #137576 - 02/15/04 01:11 PM

URL for Medicine Mexico??? Thanks, just curious because I've never heard of them.

brian37
Journeyman

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Alabama
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: oreo]
      #137577 - 02/15/04 01:15 PM

i have been on it for about a year now....I have kep a steady does in me and it has helped back pain.....tapering off gave me a headache.

gregR

Reged: 02/06/03
Loc: Southern U.S.
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: brian37]
      #137618 - 02/15/04 03:57 PM

I've noticed quite a few U.S. sites now selling Tramadol. Which is great for me. I happen to be one of the lucky few that this med helps. You really have to monitor your dossage. I had a horrific experience with tramadol. I hadn't taken any for a few days and when my order came I took three 50's. (was in bad pain). Well these things hit me like never before. I felt disoriented and confused. Kinda like taking a mild hit of acid for those of you who participated way back when. Even though I felt like a walking zombie my pain had totally subsided. Just be very careful with this stuff. Don't take more than 400mg per day. Many people have had seizures. Which can be deadly. If you are a legitimate pain patient and have the right body chemistry you're in luck!!!!!!!

mpcagh

Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: California
      #138103 - 02/16/04 08:54 PM

Tramadol has helped my back pain quite a bit.

--------------------
"There's a fine line between love and hate, and a mile full of lessons in between." William M. Siegel, Jr.

TSOrocks

Reged: 01/28/04
Loc: Appalachian Foothills of North...
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: mpcagh]
      #138301 - 02/17/04 10:33 AM

Hi,

I've been taking Tramadol lately, but I'd like to stop. At first it was helping my pain (barely), and it gave me a little "boost" sort of like oxy's do, but then it started doing weird things like some of you are describing. Such as, headaches, "floating" feelings like my head wasn't connected to my shoulders, (yes, sort of like a mild acid trip, which I don't need at WORK), and sometimes nausea. I'm getting ready to register with NWW so I can get Hydro, which at least doesn't make me feel "disconnected"

Have a pain free day!

Winter

Reged: 04/08/03
      #138327 - 02/17/04 11:49 AM

When I 1st started taking ultram in 1995 they helped me alot, in fact as another poster said I would have taken the ultram over the hydro because they lasted so much longer.
I have taken them off & on since 1995. And they just dont work that way for me anymore. I also didnt have TMJ pain in 1995 either I knew I had it but it wasnt hurting all the time like it does now.
I believe on some types of pain like my neck pain they helped that, but not for my TMJ jaw pain.
I think its time for me to take a break from them & maybe they will help again like they used to. I also think the US ultram/tramadol works better for me it seems stronger then the stuff overseas.
Tammy

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

tone
Veteran

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: TSOrocks]
      #138481 - 02/17/04 05:34 PM

Quote:

"floating" feelings like my head wasn't connected to my shoulders, (yes, sort of like a mild acid trip, which I don't need at WORK)

Ah hahahaha sorry to hear that. tramadol seems to have strange effects on people. for me, it is close to perfect and has 0 side effects, then again i am extremely major depressed, so depressed that it must make me go from depressed to closer to normal, rather than from normal to strange side effects like others.

no i dont get headaches, no nausea, no floating feelings, none of that.

tramadol has horrible withdrawl.

It does a good job on my physical pain. and the doctor was right, it is a good alternative to full opioids for pain

twinsane1051

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: Da' U.P.
      #138497 - 02/17/04 06:06 PM

Ultram never did anything for me. It was like taking an over the counter medication. My sister was prescribed them once after my short encounter with them, and she said if she took two, they would make her a little sleepy but that was it.
For my level of back pain,in the past I've taken Vic Es or now the Norco 10/325.
Good Luck finding some relief~

--------------------
Twincerely

If I could walk on my hands, I'd have a big breasts and a small behind.....

Curtisd3

Reged: 01/29/04
Loc: Michigan
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: twinsane1051]
      #139490 - 02/19/04 08:42 PM

I was prescribed Ultracet at my first PM visit yesterday. NSAID's DO NOT work for me in pill form at all. I called the doctor and told him and he prescibed Tramadol/Ultram 50mg. I've taken 100mg twice today and I have to say I really like the stuff so far--nice, easy, calming pain relief. I'm impressed. Is this a C-III--I assume that it is. Does it have Codeine in it? I know it acts similiarly to opiates.
Thanks! I'm very grateful I found DB.
Curtisd3

Curtisd3

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: Curtisd3]
      #139493 - 02/19/04 08:47 PM

Sorry, forgot to add that the only side-effect so far is dry mouth. In my college days we called this "cotton mouth." It's good to drink a lot of water anyway.
Curtisd3

hilarylp

Reged: 07/06/02
Loc: Corporate Droneville
      #139505 - 02/19/04 09:03 PM

At this point, it is not scheduled. I don't expect that to last long, though!!

--------------------
hilarylp

Curtisd3

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: hilarylp]
      #139519 - 02/19/04 09:36 PM

Then I am completely confused as to the scheduling process. If Ultram isn't scheduled wouldn't that mean you could buy it OTC? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.
Thanks,
Curtisd3

hilarylp

Reged: 07/06/02
Loc: Corporate Droneville
      #139521 - 02/19/04 09:39 PM

Well, a lot of unscheduled meds aren't available OTC. Tramadol is recognized as having a high abuse potential, thus it will probably be scheduled soon. Oh what a wonderful world we would live in if the government would quit trying to "save us from ourselves".

--------------------
hilarylp

night_shade
Threadhead

Reged: 08/26/03
Loc: The State of Hockey
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: hilarylp]
      #139550 - 02/19/04 11:25 PM

Quote:

Tramadol is recognized as having a high abuse potential

FROM THE ORTHO-McNEIL WEBSITE:
DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE
Tramadol may induce psychic and physical dependence of the morphine-type (µ-opioid). (See WARNINGS.) Dependence and abuse, including drug-seeking behavior and taking illicit actions to obtain the drug are not limited to those patients with a prior history of opioid dependence. The risk in patients with substance abuse has been observed to be higher. Tramadol is associated with craving and tolerance development. Withdrawal symptoms may occur if tramadol is discontinued abruptly. These symptoms may include: anxiety, sweating, insomnia, rigors, pain, nausea, tremors, diarrhea, upper respiratory symptoms, iloerection, and rarely hallucinations.
Clinical experience suggests that withdrawal symptoms may be relieved by reinstitution of opioid therapy followed by a gradual, tapered dose reduction of the medication combined with symptomatic support.

WARNINGS
Seizure Risk
Seizures have been reported in patients receiving tramadol within the recommended dosage range. Spontaneous post-marketing reports indicate that seizure risk is increased with doses of tramadol above the recommended range. Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking:
• Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI
antidepressants or anoretics){EFFEXOR, et. al.},
• Tricyclic antidepressants {triptylines} (TCAs), and other
tricyclic compounds (e.g., cyclobenzaprine {FLEXERIL},
promethazine {PHENERGAN}, etc.), or
• Other opioids.
Administration of tramadol may enhance the
seizure risk in patients taking:
• MAO inhibitors (see also WARNINGS – Use with
MAO Inhibitors),
• Neuroleptics, or
• Other drugs that reduce the seizure threshold.
Concomitant use of SEROTONIN re-uptake INHIBITORS and MAO INHIBITORS may enhance the risk of adverse events, including
seizure (see WARNINGS) and serotonin syndrome.
-------------------------------------------------

Funny that I was given this med considering I take Effexor XR, Flexeril, Amitriptyline AND Phenergan...

Makes me wonder if doctors even read these prescribing info documents???

Anyway, it doesn't work for me at all. Tylenol by itself is as effective in my opinion. But I also take methadone, so maybe that cancels out the Tramadol effectiveness?

--------------------
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

brian37
Journeyman

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Alabama
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: night_shade]
      #142832 - 02/28/04 11:11 PM

This forum is to talk about meds and not about OP's

Edited by DrugBuyers (01/30/05 03:46 PM)

actonbell
Journeyman

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: brian37]
      #142941 - 02/29/04 12:58 PM

I am also one of the lucky ones for whom tramadol is a lifesaver. I prefer it over opiates any time. BUT........, it is not good for acute pain, it needs to be taken on a regular dosing schedule to be effective, and it does have weird side effects on some people. I took it daily for nearly 9 months, ordered from good old click mostly, but I have become so paranoid about it, even though it is not scheduled, it could get me into some trouble is the LE decided to press the issue, because it is illegal to order ANY med overseas thru the mail, so I went cold turkey about 2 weeks ago. I was prepared for bad withdrawal since so many had mentioned it but there was none. I just felt a little more tired than usual. There is one terrible drawback tho, I suffer from restless legs, and the tramadol controlled that perfectly, but when I stopped it came back with a vengence. Triple vengance.

--------------------
All it takes to fly is to hurl yourself at the ground....and miss.

tone
Veteran

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: actonbell]
      #146656 - 03/11/04 06:41 PM

Quote:

because it is illegal to order ANY med overseas thru the mail,

how do you figure or where do you get this info? correct me if im wrong, but it is LEGAL to import up to a 90 day supply of unscheduled meds

mikalis51
Stranger

Reged: 03/10/04
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: tone]
      #147324 - 03/13/04 11:22 PM

As I understand it, you can import 90 days if you walk over a land border. Importing through the mail from overseas is illegal. Regardless of the schedule of the drug, even if you have a legitimate prescription from an american doctor. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of the law.

Trampy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/03/02
Loc: Southwest U.S.
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: mikalis51]
      #147354 - 03/14/04 01:11 AM

Quote:

As I understand it, you can import 90 days if you walk over a land border. Importing through the mail from overseas is illegal. Regardless of the schedule of the drug, even if you have a legitimate prescription from an american doctor. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of the law.

Not so on both counts, and they've been explained too many times already. The 90-day claim for travelers carrying meds used to be generally true, but not any more ... not exactly. And the FDA's 1988 Pilot Guidance for mail imports of legend drugs was never rescinded.

Trampy

--------------------
Your mileage may vary ...

tone
Veteran

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: mikalis51]
      #147514 - 03/14/04 07:06 PM

o come on, then why does customs open packages all of the time and then let them go on to the addressee??? why are there so many very professional IOPs like International AntiAging Systems that will ship to the US? of course its legal to import a 90 day supply through the mail.

im pretty sure its legal if its for 1) personal use and not for resale, and 2) a 90 day supply or less.

someone look it up

dsmmcm
Old Hand

Reged: 11/08/03
Loc: southwest US
      #147527 - 03/14/04 07:46 PM

You are wrong.
D

--------------------
D.

tray1
Enthusiast

Reged: 11/22/03
Loc: US
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: dsmmcm]
      #147539 - 03/14/04 08:36 PM

I concur, alot of these sites misqoute the law to make you believe it is legal but it is definately not.

Tray

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: night_shade]
      #149106 - 03/20/04 01:54 AM

Does tramadol cause seizures or what in people taking antidepressant medication? what is the hard data ie., percentages, privileges

Carmanti

Reged: 01/01/04
Loc: Ohio
Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: ]
      #149248 - 03/20/04 06:26 PM

I agree that tramadol works better for pain than other opiate analgesics. I would compare 300mg of tramadol to 30mg of hydrocodone.

Edited by Melody (02/11/05 06:05 AM)

tone
Veteran

Re: Tramadol (Ultram) [Re: dsmmcm]
      #149403 - 03/21/04 02:10 PM

its legal with a prescription. if it were so illegal, customs wouldnt let through any drug period, yet they let through all uncontrolled drugs they find when they open packages, so i dont know what your talking about. my meds mex orders are always sent through customs and are packed with a a sting tied over a box that us easy to open, it always comes with this customs lable thing.

look, if it were illegal, the FDA wouldnt have any guidelines for importing drugs, it would just be as illegal as herion is, period.

----

July 20, 1988

SUBJECT: Pilot Guidance for Release of Mail Importations

TO: Regional Food & Drug Directors, District Directors, Import Program Managers, Compliance Branch Managers, Investigations Branch Managers, Laboratory Branch Directors

INFO: All Major Field Offices, Resident Posts, Division of Field Science, Division of Federal-State Relations, Office of Legislative Affairs.

NOTE: This guidance is being issued on a pilot basis and is subject to change and/or cancellation. If the pilot proves successful, with no significant problems, Chapter 9-71 of the Regulatory Procedures Manual may be appropriately revised.

Because of the desire to acquire articles for treatment of serious and life-threatening conditions like AIDS and cancer, individuals have been purchasing unapproved products from foreign sources. Some of these products are sold over-the-counter in the country of origin, while others are available from clinics where the purchaser was treated. Such products are often shipped to the purchaser by mail.

Even though such products are subject to refusal, we may use our discretion to examine the background, risk, and purpose of these products before making a final decision. To assure that the districts are operating in a uniform manner, the following guidance is provided for dealing with personal use shipments.

1.Except as modified by these instructions, established guidance found in RPM-9-71, exhibits X9-71-1 and X9-71-2 should be followed.
2. A product entered for personal use, which meets the criteria in item 4 below, may proceed without sampling or detention.
3. Products that are not identified, or are not accompanied by documentation of misrepresentation, or an unreasonable health risk due to either toxicity or possible contamination.
In such cases, the appropriate center should be contacted for guidance concerning release of the product.
4. Following detention, shipments may be released to an individual if the following criteria can be satisfied and there is no safety risk-or evidence of fraud:
a. The product was purchased for personal use.
b. The product is not for commercial distribution and the amount of the drug is not excessive (i.e., a three-month supply or less).
c. The intended use of the product is appropriately identified.
d. The patient seeking to import the product affirms in writing that it is for the patient's own use and provides the name and address of the doctor licensed in the US responsible for his or her treatment with the product.
5. If the district should encounter a situation suggesting promotional and/or commercial activity that falls within our health fraud guideline, the district should recommend that an import alert be issued for the automatic detention of the product and identification of the promoter involved.
6. The model letter currently in exhibit X9-71-2 should be revised according to the attached during this pilot.
7. The article may then be released with comment upon receipt of the letter as follows:

dsmmcm
Old Hand

Reged: 11/08/03
Loc: southwest US
      #149416 - 03/21/04 03:55 PM

Quote:

Because of the desire to acquire articles for treatment of serious and life-threatening conditions like AIDS and cancer, individuals have been purchasing unapproved products from foreign sources. Some of these products are sold over-the-counter in the country of origin, while others are available from clinics where the purchaser was treated. Such products are often shipped to the purchaser by mail.

Before you post it, you should read it. As I read it, this "Pilot Guidance for Release of Mail Importations" is talking about products which are not approved for use in the US and probably not available in the US. It is not talking about products like Ultram. Let's get one of the DB legal experts to straighten us out here.

And BTW, you seem to want to define what is legal as what you can get away with. That's like saying that if someone successfully robs ten banks in a row, it must be legal!!
D

--------------------
D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Melody 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 9871

Rate this topic

Jump to

Help | Privacy statement | Rules Free Members Area