DoctorScripts.Com Prices
Ultram 50mg 90 tablets $138.00 - Tramadol 50mg 180 Tablets $ 82.00
Watson Brand Soma (Carisoprodol) 350mg 90 Tablers $57.00 - Carisoprodol (Generic Soma) 350mg 90 Tablets $37.00
Fioricet Brand 50/325/40 90 Tablets $136.00 - Butalbital APAP w/Caffeine (Generic Fioricet) 50/325/40 90 $49.00
Consultation fees included in price. No hidden costs: http://doctorscripts.com

Meds, Medical Conditions, and Treatment >> Prescription drug discussion

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
nihil
Journeyman

Reged: 09/15/03
Loc: New England
Ativan - Lorazepam
      #102289 - 09/23/03 08:34 PM

Recently, I was at the hospital for a panic attack I suffered and (two nurses later and after a very long wait) the physician finally saw me and prescribed me some lorazepam (ativan) in case I had another occurance that night or in the near future. I'd told one of the nurses I had met with that I had another anxiety disorder (social anxiety) so the doctot knew. He told me that the lorazepam would not only work to quell my panic but also the anxiety as well (since they are both related to each other). He also said that when I took a pill it would feel like I had "drunk three beers." The thing is, though, that since I've used the lorazepam I haven't felt a major decrease in my anxiety, even when I've taken as much as 3mg (three pills). I also didn't feel like I had drunk three beers (more like half a beer after I took 2mg of lorazepam and 60mg of dihydrocodeine). So I'm wondering how good lorazepam is supposed to work for social anxiety? I know there are much better benzodiazepines for social anxiety (klonopin, valium, xanax) but I'm wondering about ativan, since that is all I have at the moment.

Edited by Melody (03/03/04 06:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pescado1
Journeyman

Reged: 07/22/03
Loc: The Southwest
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: nihil]
      #102558 - 09/24/03 07:39 PM

I have both general panic disorder and agoraphobia (social aniety). I take Ativan at the first sign of a panic attack and for me it has been a life saver. My doctor gives me 60 a month of the 1mg ones. This is plenty enough since I do not take them daily. However, they are adicting so do not take them daily or for preventitive reasons, only take them when a panic attack occurs. If 1mg does not work I feel fine taking up to 3mg at once. Just my thoughts.

--------------------
"One man gathers what another man spills"

drewsmerdel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/01
Loc: Nap Town
      #102562 - 09/24/03 07:57 PM

Have you ruled out all and any medical conditions? JMO, but I would make sure it isnt something else, and several physicial conditions can appear on the surface as a panic disorder, or even social phobias.

Most docs dont want to perscribe valium, or xanax, due to the euphoria it delivers. Ativan and klonopin were developed to not be "habit forming", in other words they dont give(most) people that "high" feeling. You shouldnt have a problem getting a doc to try you on klonopin, they may be hesitant to try Alprazolam or Diazapam. Just keep in mind the half life on klonopin is a nasty one, also remeber that there is no benzo that you will not build a tolerance for. Eventually all social phobias I have dealt with are best treated in 2 parts 1. proper medication and 2. Behavior modificiation(behaviroal science).

Good luck

Drew

--------------------
Are you hungry?
Are you sick?
Are you begging for a break?
Are you sweet?
Are you fresh?
Are you strung up by the wrists?

Trampy
Oracle

Reged: 04/03/02
Loc: Southwest U.S.
      #102566 - 09/24/03 08:13 PM

I think that the main drawback of using short-lived benzos (like Ativan and Xanax) for a chronic anxiety problem on an as-needed basis is that the person often develops anticipatory anxiety, worries about not having pills with them at all times, and has to suffer while waiting the time it takes for the pill to take effect. That's why i like Klonopin better. If you chew them both up, a Klonopin will take effect almost as fast as an Ativan. The main difference is that the Klonopin lasts so long that it's hard to notice it wearing off. A psychiatrist had no problem switching me from lorazepam to clonazepam when i explained how depending on lorazepam for relief actually caused me to have anxiety. It's been three years now and i've never felt the need to increase the clonazepam's daily dose. It's for daily use, day after day. But after a week i stopped feeling any effect from it besides the absence of anxiety. The first week it was sedating. That went away.

It's nothing like having a beer, not even a sip. I prefer not feeling drugged and can do mental work with no problem. That would be impossible on some other benzos.

Your mileage my vary from mine. Find a good doctor. There are some out there.

Trampy

--------------------
Your mileage may vary ...

nihil
Journeyman

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: drewsmerdel]
      #102649 - 09/25/03 03:19 AM

Quote:

Have you ruled out all and any medical conditions? JMO, but I would make sure it isnt something else, and several physicial conditions can appear on the surface as a panic disorder, or even social phobias.

There's really nothing else it could be. I have all the symptoms and I fit the description perfectly. I'd also say my social anxiety is pretty acute as it has resulted in me becoming extremely withdrawn from society and avoidant of any sort of social gatherings.

Quote:

You shouldnt have a problem getting a doc to try you on klonopin, they may be hesitant to try Alprazolam or Diazapam.

That's the funny thing. My psychiatrist hasn't ever prescribed me benzodiazepines. I've been going there for almost a year now and all they give me is a new SSRI when I tell them the one before didn't work. Considering that I've been told by other people with social anxiety that they've been prescribed benzodiazepines (along with an SSRI or other augmentation med) from their first visits with their psychiatrists, I'm beginning to think that they are giving me faulty meds to keep me coming back just to take my money.

pescado1
Journeyman

Reged: 07/22/03
Loc: The Southwest
      #102809 - 09/25/03 07:31 PM

nihil,
I can't believe that your doctor would not give you some sort of benzo at least until the SSRI has a chance to kick in. I didn't even ask my doctor about Ativan he just gave me the prescription for that and zoloft and every month I get the scripts renewed. Personally I haven't noticed the Zoloft working any wonders (I take 50mgs a day) and I still get panic attacks. Are you treated by a psyciatrist or a general physician?

--------------------
"One man gathers what another man spills"

neonsign2003
Moderator at norcoworldwide.com

Reged: 12/26/02
Loc: midwest
      #102814 - 09/25/03 07:53 PM

YOU NEED TO TELL YOU DOCTOR "THE MEDS ARE NOT WORKING, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO TO ABOUT IT?" BE SPECIFIC AND TELL THE DOCTOR WHY YOU NO LONGER HAVE CONFIDENCE IN HIM/HER AND THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU ARE GOING TO SEE A NEW DOCTOR. THEN SIT BACK AND LET HIM TALK. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR, GET A NEW DOCTOR. YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED HOW THOSE IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION CHANGE THEIR TUNE ONCE THEY REALLY KNOW THAT IT IS YOU WHO ARE GOING TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN HEALTH ISSUES.........IT WORKS!

--------------------
I am a moderator at the norcoworldwide.com forum.

Reel_X_4U
Enthusiast

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Queens, New York City
      #102820 - 09/25/03 08:10 PM

From my experience, Ativan to me is a weak benzo, it right there with Serax and Librium. It's more frequently used with the elderly, who don't "REELLY" require a strong benzo like "Valium" (My Favorite) or "Xanax". Your experience sounds similiar to mine, just a slight anti-anxiety effect with no "REELLY" sedating qualities or attributes attached to it. That's why the docs prescribe it so readily, he knew it wouldn't much for you and no one is going to notice a script of Ativan, like they would if it was was for "Valium" or "Xanax". Sorry dude, that's why I always stick with stronger benzos, you get more bang for your buck. Good Luck on your next try!!

--------------------
Some men see things as they are and say "WHY"!!
Some men see things as they are and say "WHY"!!
I've dreamt of things that never were, and say "WHY NOT"!!

plotinus
Enthusiast

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: California
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: pescado1]
      #102826 - 09/25/03 08:44 PM

Neither I nor anyone I've personally talked to about it has ever reported any benefits from SSRI's when used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. I'm willing to be corrected, if we have some DBers who have had good results with SSRI's.

To sum it up, I think Trampy's analysis is dead on. And I'd be very suspicious of any doc treating anxiety/panic conditions with an SSRI, who won't atleast give you enough (ideally) klonopin to give the SSRI 3-4 weeks to take effect.

I know a few people who have had good luck with Remeron, but personally I think it is too insanely sedating. Effexor XR in the AM and Rivotril/Clonazepam/Klonopin in the evening are a very effective combination for me. Don't think Effexor without the Klonopin would be effective, as Effexor can wind you up pretty tight. Suspect Wellbutrin SR ith Klonopin might work similarly to Effexor XR, though unlike Effexor XR, Wellbutrin SR is not actually approved for treating GAD. But Wellbutrin seems to have fewer sexual side-effects.

Unfortunately many of you, including the mods, have been less impressed by some of my posts written after washing down my PM Klonopin with a shot of vodka, then forcing myself to stay awake, because I was feeling so f'ing brilliant. Take comfort in the fact that there are many parallel universes where I'm sober (and maybe you aren't)

--------------------
"War on ...." is the wrong metaphor!

nihil
Journeyman

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: pescado1]
      #102928 - 09/26/03 08:53 AM

Quote:

Are you treated by a psyciatrist or a general physician?

I'm treated by a psychiatrist and/or the clinician at the psychiatric place I go to. But if they continue giving me SSRI's then I'll take neonsign's advice and just go to another psychiatrist. Since they put me in a "med group" I've been growing more and more weary of that place. Considering that they know I have social anxiety I have no idea why the hell they put me there. Having me sit in a cramped room with 10-12 people and having my appointment in front of them all doesn't exactly do me any good.

Quote:

I know a few people who have had good luck with Remeron, but personally I think it is too insanely sedating.

They recently gave me remeron and you're definitely right about it being insanely sedating. Once I woke up from a 8+ hour sleep, took 15mg of remeron, and then within 15 minutes felt as though I hadn't slept for about a day. I had to keep walking in order not to fall asleep but eventually I gave in. When I woke up about 6 hours later, I wasn't tired initially. But then after about an hour I started getting tired again.

Quote:

Effexor XR in the AM and Rivotril/Clonazepam/Klonopin in the evening are a very effective combination for me. Don't think Effexor without the Klonopin would be effective, as Effexor can wind you up pretty tight.

I used to take Effexor. Out of all the SSRI's I ever took it was the best (even though technically Effexor is not a SSRI but a SNRI). It slightly-moderately chipped away at my anxiety every time I increased the dose (and then stop working). But eventually it stopped working completely for me. That's when I tried to go off of it and went through one of the worst withdrawals of my life (and I was tapering, mind you). I've had more pleasant opiate withdrawals...

nihil
Journeyman

#107816 - 10/15/03 09:31 PM

Great...I just returned from my psychiatrist after telling him I wanted to change my SSRI-based medication to a different class (preferably benzodiazepines) and the b,astard denied me this. Now what was worse about all of this was that he was PRESCRIBING AMPHETAMINES, STRONG OPIATE ANALGESICS (AMONG THEM METHADONE), AND OTHER BENZOS to other patients right in front of me. He agreed to switch me to some non-SSRI medication, tofranil, but I don't expect it to do s,hit. And I'm real f,ucking pissed off about all of this.

neonsign2003
Moderator at norcoworldwide.com

Reged: 12/26/02
Loc: midwest
      #107820 - 10/15/03 09:47 PM

Tell the "DOCTOR" you are dumping him. tell him you want ALL you records INCLUDING all psyco-thearpy notes he wrote.
Then read what the doctor wrote about you, locate another doctor ( don't tell him about the records) and I bet you will be posting more postive mail in a short while. I know exactly how you feel because I have been there, many times. good luck!!!

--------------------
I am a moderator at the norcoworldwide.com forum.

prettyday
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: Coastal Sage Scrub
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: plotinus]
      #107826 - 10/15/03 10:19 PM

Me! I am cautiously back on Prozac, the granddaddy of em all and I feel a little calmer.....but I am probably in the minority!
He did also give me ativan, but I don't notice it and forget to take it....maybe that means it is working...who knows?

--------------------
I believe there are more urgent and honorable occupations than the incomparable waste of time we call suffering.
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

Edited by prettyday (10/15/03 10:23 PM)

nihil
Journeyman

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: neonsign2003]
      #107837 - 10/15/03 11:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, neosign. That is EXACTLY what I'm going to do and VERY soon. It's one thing to search for the "right" medicine for several months, but it's a totally different thing for a corrupt "psychiatrist" to have the nerve to lie to my face and tell me that benzodiazepines generally don't help for social anxiety (that is what he actually told me!) and then prescribe me old tricyclic anti-depressants which have been proven to be totally ineffective for this particular ailment.

bill2002

Reged: 10/30/02
Loc: washington dc area
      #107886 - 10/16/03 08:07 AM

dude, one of the main purposes of diazapam is for the treatment of social anxiety, nerves, muscle spasms. Its all right there in the PDR. You need to find a new doctor. Good luck, you deserve better

Opie_Yates
Veteran

Reged: 08/11/03
      #107897 - 10/16/03 10:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, neosign. That is EXACTLY what I'm going to do and VERY soon. It's one thing to search for the "right" medicine for several months, but it's a totally different thing for a corrupt "psychiatrist" to have the nerve to lie to my face and tell me that benzodiazepines generally don't help for social anxiety (that is what he actually told me!) and then prescribe me old tricyclic anti-depressants which have been proven to be totally ineffective for this particular ailment.

In my opinion, there is one trycyclic that is good for one thing only, and that is Elavil for fibro related sleep disorders...and even that makes you gain weight. Tricyclics....UGGHHH!!

--------------------
********YES! DEFINITELY VOTE IN '08!********

Skylark

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: California
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: Opie_Yates]
      #107930 - 10/16/03 01:22 PM

Quote:

dude, one of the main purposes of diazapam is for the treatment of social anxiety, nerves, muscle spasms. Its all right there in the PDR. You need to find a new doctor. Good luck, you deserve better

I wholeheartedly agree. I dumped my last psych for under prescribing me and not listening to my needs.

They are there to HELP you!! Not make your life worse...which is why I have a new psych, LOL. My last one, well, y'all saw the post about him.

Good luck!!

Skylark

--------------------
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"....-E. Roosevelt

keystone
Veteran

Reged: 09/05/02
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: Skylark]
      #165369 - 05/28/04 02:03 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

[image]http://balder.prohosting.com/~agpa/home/ativan.htm[/image]

Attachment

--------------------
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he never existed.

stevesmith

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Southern
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: neonsign2003]
      #197578 - 11/01/04 01:21 PM

Quote:

YOU NEED TO TELL YOU DOCTOR "THE MEDS ARE NOT WORKING, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO TO ABOUT IT?" BE SPECIFIC AND TELL THE DOCTOR WHY YOU NO LONGER HAVE CONFIDENCE IN HIM/HER AND THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU ARE GOING TO SEE A NEW DOCTOR. THEN SIT BACK AND LET HIM TALK. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR, GET A NEW DOCTOR. YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED HOW THOSE IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION CHANGE THEIR TUNE ONCE THEY REALLY KNOW THAT IT IS YOU WHO ARE GOING TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN HEALTH ISSUES.........IT WORKS!

I AGREE 10000000%% . my dr. had me on Zoloft, paxil, wellbutrin, and tons of others for years, so many pills i cant remember. I finaly walked in his office and told him I had tried Valium and it worked for me. I told him I could order it off the internet and leave him outta the whole thing. He promptly wrote me a script for Valium.

--------------------
PPL don't argue over ideas or possible solutions, but instead argue to assert their egos and release frustration. Once U realize this, U will neither argue nor take arguments seriously

voyager
Veteran

Reged: 04/17/03
Loc: United States Virgin Islands
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: stevesmith]
      #197598 - 11/01/04 02:14 PM

BE GLAD your doc does not prescribe benzo's. They are best used for SHORT TERM MANAGEMENT of anxiety only. You don't want to turn yourself into an ADDICT. Caring Doctors Wouldn't do a AWFUL thing like that. That is the Big BEEF against OP's. There is no close supervision of the patient which is important if you want to avoid DRUG ADDICTION.

If anyone in your family has ever been addicted to any substance at all you could understand where i am comng from.

Do your best to stick with meds like Effexor XR for LONG TERM treatment of anxiety. They work FAR better but in order to give them an honest chance you have to try them for at LEAST 2 months.

Good luck and CHOOSE WISELY,

voyager

svene83
Journeyman

Reged: 01/10/02
Loc: City: Happiness, State of Mind
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: voyager]
      #235242 - 03/06/05 07:17 AM

I have been buying Wyeth 2mg Ativans that have been arriving in blister packs: color- yellow.

My supplier recently was forced to switch HIS venor in Mexico to another one (I suppose -based on the UPS tracking info.) from Canada: color - peach.

Is the fact that I don't think the peach colored ones are as strong as the yellow one's all in my Mind?

They are both Wyeth products, state the same drug, same mg. dosage.

I don't "get" it? and am trying to decide whether to stick with him or not.

Anyone had a similar experience?

--------------------
"Time is fun when you are having flies: said the frog."

kentuckyboi
Stranger

Reged: 03/02/05
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: svene83]
      #236788 - 03/10/05 10:14 PM

Hey Svene83,
I'm glad I finally found someone that has some yellow Lorazepam too. I did a seach on the internet for yellow Lorazepam and never found any info on them.
I bought some yellow 2mg Lorazepam tablet online like a year ago.I'm 99.9% sure they came from mexico becuase of the stamps on the envelope. When I got them I was so scared that they were counterfeit. And Lorazepam was spelled Lorazapam too.
I guess that's the way they spell it over there.

lap1026
Journeyman

Reged: 02/10/05
      #255087 - 05/07/05 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There's really nothing else it could be. I have all the symptoms and I fit the description perfectly. I'd also say my social anxiety is pretty acute as it has resulted in me becoming extremely withdrawn from society and avoidant of any sort of social gatherings.

Quote:

You shouldnt have a problem getting a doc to try you on klonopin, they may be hesitant to try Alprazolam or Diazapam.

That's the funny thing. My psychiatrist hasn't ever prescribed me benzodiazepines. I've been going there for almost a year now and all they give me is a new SSRI when I tell them the one before didn't work. Considering that I've been told by other people with social anxiety that they've been prescribed benzodiazepines (along with an SSRI or other augmentation med) from their first visits with their psychiatrists, I'm beginning to think that they are giving me faulty meds to keep me coming back just to take my money.

Hi ANXIETY FRIENDS, I've been going through this since 1988. By 1997 I got help. If the Doctor you see now will not give you a benzo...get another doctor. There was maybe one that treated me like your doctor treats you....the others I've had treating me prescribe an SSRI and Serax or klonopin. No one gives Val or Xanax that I've found but the others do help quite a bit even if they are mild. I sympathize with you and all the rest of us who have to live with this frightening feeling each day. Best of luck, look for a new PSYCHIATRIST!

lap1026
Journeyman

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: kentuckyboi]
      #255092 - 05/07/05 11:50 AM

Quote:

Hey Svene83,
I'm glad I finally found someone that has some yellow Lorazepam too. I did a seach on the internet for yellow Lorazepam and never found any info on them.
I bought some yellow 2mg Lorazepam tablet online like a year ago.I'm 99.9% sure they came from mexico becuase of the stamps on the envelope. When I got them I was so scared that they were counterfeit. And Lorazepam was spelled Lorazapam too.
I guess that's the way they spell it over there.

But were they counterfeit or did they work for, that is THE QUESTION!

lap1026
Journeyman

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: voyager]
      #255098 - 05/07/05 12:10 PM

Voyager,
I truly understand your stance against Benzos and under normal conditions you are quite right, but if you had to live, day in and day out with Agoraphobia, Anxiety attacks and Panic attacks, I believe you would begin to feel differently. I, myself, have had to live periodically in a hooror movie since 1988. Without my two combos of meds, one being a benzo, I would not be here anymore...BY CHOICE! You are right, they are addictive and noone wants to live with that but desperate situations sometimes call for desperate measures!

Tylertoo

Reged: 01/11/05
Re: Ativan - Lorazepam [Re: nihil]
      #255099 - 05/07/05 12:15 PM

Hi Nihil,

i'm very sorry to hear that your doctor did not give you the help you needed. I'm in complete agreement with Trampy on this one ~ my old doctor had me on Ativan, 2 mg, 3X a day, and it actually ended up causing me MORE anxiety as my tolerance increased. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, agoraphobia, and Panic Disorder.

Fortunately, my new doctor decided to switch me from the Ativan (Lorazepam)to Klonopin. I can't believe the difference. Apparentely, this is a much better medication for people like me who need an anti-anxiety med in their systems all the time, rather than taking a fast-acting, short-life benzo. I just take my 2 mg Klonopin in the morning and am good for the day, then one at night. There's absolutely no feeling of euphoria or "being high" - it just controls the anxiety the way it's supposed to, and since being on it i've never felt a need to increase the dosage. It works wonders for me, and i'm very grateful to be off the Ativan cycle!

Sorry for long post - just wanted to let you know, i was able to find a new doctor who understood what i needed and had no problem prescribing the Klonopin. I hope you are able to find a doctor who will do the same.

Best of luck to you!

archie
Stranger

Reged: 04/30/04
      #263816 - 05/29/05 09:11 AM

HI

Benzo's are nuch harder to come off than any of the other meds u mentioned. IF I was a doctor I would rarely prescribe benzos, and never for more than a month. Also, while a drug will relive the symptoms, it is not acting on the source of your anxiety. This may be due to an imbalance in brain chemicals, and throwing a Benzo into the picture may have a bad effect in the long term, while providing relief in short term.

Try Cardinol/Proprananol. It mutes the physical feelings associated with anxiety, meaning if we don't feel anxious, then we arent.

Also another point to ponder is, Anxiety/social disfunction can be a precursor to or symptm of depression, and Benzo's have a negative action on depression and will interfere with your anti-depresant medication, as they cause depression.

Cheers
Graham

a112349
Stranger

Reged: 11/26/04
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: lap1026]
      #264391 - 05/31/05 10:19 AM

Of course the benzos are much needed for anxiety, panic attacks etc., but the fact that they hook within several months and in the case as with many people, lose their effect after several weeks, leaves you to then deal with your original organic problem and one of the worst withdrawl symptoms known to mankind.
I am now dealing with getting off 2mg Ativan per day, and using Valium which has a much longer half life and trying top tape ther 10mg. Valium down to 1/8 per week. I have only been on this [censored], that does nothing for me anymore for about four months and would love to find a more permanent way to jump out of my skin. Benzo addiction is not like an opiate addiction where you go through 3-5 agonizing days, then another couple weeks of terrible depression and cravings until the cloud slowly starts to life within a month. Benzo withdrawls are so terrible and last for so many months and sometimes years depending on the dosage and lenght of use, that I believe most itelligent shrinks will go through the whole gamut of SSRI drugs until you finally get the right one as oppossed to some of these weinies that just want to give you the instant gratification you crave. Perhaps there are some other non benzos out there that can be used for several weeks, until you find the right SSRI, but I have tried many without gret success.

PezRGood
Journeyman

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: Near ChiTown
Re: Lorazepam (Ativan) for Social Anxiety? [Re: a112349]
      #264530 - 05/31/05 03:42 PM

I have gerneral anxiety disorder and have been on medication for about ten years. I agree that for the short term and also for break thru panic attacks xanax, ativan, Klonopin, inderol, or atarax work. There are some new meds out there that work much better for long term treatment of panic disorders. (I take Cymbalta which is chemically similar to effexor with out the weight gain issue. For me this has worked much better than Paxil or Prozac)It can be a long road of trial and error but if you can avoid the panic of running out of benzos you might be better off. I know I am new to posting, but I am not new to this disease.

NFR

Reged: 12/24/04
Loc: U.S NorthWest
Re: Ativan - Lorazepam [Re: nihil]
      #300525 - 08/13/05 11:44 AM

The saying many of these groups for people with drinking or drug addiction problems use is the "one day at a time" line of thinking .Well that works both way ! When you have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and in the morning dont even want to leave your home ,yet the bills need paying the children both need braces at $4500 each etc.,etc,etc.! Why would the "one day at a time" not apply ,and if you need to take a certain medication that allows you to get out of the house and make it thru your day ,then I say go for it .As far as dependance issuses go ,with benzos they have tapering schedules that would allow you to painlessly taper yourself off this medication .However you should never go cold turkey off of any form of benzo .There is no reason they do not use this very efective medication ! In fact even though Iam no Dr. I've found for me it in my case (xanax) to be a miracle medication that has helped me to get thru some of the hardest time in my life ,when the problems ,that many people suffer thru became unbearable ,I never considered suicide, however ,my anxiety effected everyone in my family ,my wife ,my 2 beautiful children. My ten year old could tell when I had not taken my medication ,she could see the pain in my face ,from worry ! I was so fed up with the Dr.'s at my HMO ,with there obsessing over addiction possibilities ,that they would refuse to perscribe anything .So now instead of allowing me to purchase my medication thru my hmo ,I have to pay ten times the price thru OP's. I have zero respect for Dr. that have a medication at their disposal ,and wont use it, they should explain the dependance issuse with their patient and give them a choice. After all Iam a 48 year old man , can I please have some say in my treatment ? I say whatever works best for you ,go for it ! You can find on the internet tapering avice on almost any drug. I wonder often ,if once these Dr's get their diplomas ,do they ever bother to read again ! If ,yes ,then why dont they come here and see why so many of their patients are willing to pay much higher prices the get the medicine, they are to chicken to use !
Thank to All,NF

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Melody, Heidi 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3648

Rate this topic

Jump to

Help | Privacy statement | Rules Free Members Area